Sam Mikell is an associate with wide-ranging experience litigating civil cases throughout the State of Georgia. Sam has significant experience litigating serious personal injury and other complex civil cases.
In his first trial, he and his co-counsel won a $6.4 million verdict for the family members of a shooting victim, the largest verdict in the history of Brantley County, Georgia. Sam also beat summary judgment in a wide array of civil cases, including dram shop, premises liability, and product warranty cases. Previously, Sam handled business disputes and the defense of civil suits against local governments.
A Savannah native and the son of the late Judge Charlie Mikell, Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals of Georgia, Sam earned a Bachelor of Arts in Politics, cum laude, from Princeton University. He studied abroad in Beijing, China, and became fluent in Mandarin Chinese. Sam earned his Juris Doctor at the University of Georgia School of Law, where he served on the Georgia Law Review and was named president of the UGA student chapter of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association. While in law school, he clerked for Georgia Court of Appeals Presiding Judge John J. Ellington and worked as a Research Assistant to Georgia’s premier evidence law scholar, Professor Ronald Carlson.
A member of the State Bar of Georgia, Sam is the former President of the Savannah Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division and holds a seat on the Board of Directors of the Jenkins Athletic Club. In 2023, he was selected as a “National Trial Lawyer | Civil Plaintiff | Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer” in the State of Georgia. Additionally, he is a member of Christ Church Episcopal, where he serves as a lay eucharistic minister.
- Won $6.4 million verdict on behalf of family of accidental shooting victim;
- Obtained $400,000 settlement on behalf of client falsely arrested for allegedly stealing rental car;
- Beat summary judgment in federal lawsuit alleging false arrest and seizure of personal belongings;
- Secured settlement nearing $1 million for family of victim of tractor-trailer wreck;
- Won right to jury trial against bar that served alcohol to at-fault party in car wreck;
- Defeated summary judgment in premises liability action regarding faulty revolving door.
Awards, Recognitions, and Memberships
- The National Trial Lawyers | Civil Plaintiff | Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer in the State of Georgia for 2023
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Savannah Bar Association, President of the Young Lawyers Division
- Board of Directors of the Jenkins Athletic Club
- Christ Church Episcopal, Lay Eucharistic Minister