Danny Griffin is the counsel of choice for many individuals and companies in high-profile white collar government investigations. He also regularly defends individuals and companies in False Claims Act and other civil investigations. Danny leads the firm’s white collar practice and is Chambers Band One rated for White Collar Crime & Government Investigations.
Recent comments published in Chambers USA include: “Danny is formidable, very effective and has very good experience.” “He is one of the best lawyers in Atlanta to represent in individual in trouble. He deals with clients terrifically and is respected by prosecutors.” “Danny is an excellent lawyer. He is very good at representing individuals in healthcare cases.” “He has an impeccable reputation. He’s got a lot of experience and really good judgment.” “He is an excellent attorney who is knowledgeable, a great communicator, focused, respectable and formidable.” “[H]as an amazing sense of how to . . . navigate some tricky situations.” “[H]as a very nice touch with clients and the government and exhibits both excellent procedural know-how and deep substantive knowledge.” “[A]n outstanding lawyer who brings a practical approach combined with his very bright intellectual abilities.” “You can’t get a better lawyer than him; he’s very wise and has great judgment and instincts.”
A former federal prosecutor in Atlanta, Danny has a broad range of successful defense experience. More than 40 of his clients have been “targets” in federal criminal investigations where the government never filed charges or dismissed the indictment before trial. He has handled cases involving alleged antitrust violations, bank fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, bribery, customs violations, environmental offenses, violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, healthcare fraud, immigration offenses, income tax offenses, insider trading, money laundering, public corruption, RICO violations, SBA fraud, and securities fraud. He has also represented individuals in Congressional investigations and has handled cases involving asset forfeiture and government contract debarment proceedings.
Danny has also been recognized for his defense work in False Claims Act (qui tam) cases brought by whistleblowers. Danny has experience defending medical professionals, executives, and businesses in FCA cases in a range of jurisdictions. Danny has secured outright declinations from the Government and negotiated favorable resolutions for a small fraction of the original demand.
- Represented Fortune 500 company which was the target in a Clean Water Act investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented former Mayor of Atlanta.
- Represented medical device company scientist in 5+ year-long criminal investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented corporate officer/target in a $500 million securities fraud investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented Board Chairman who was the target in an investigation concerning organization’s receipt of SBA and PPP loans. No charges filed.
- Represented indicted individual who had been identified by three government sources as the leader of the charged conspiracy. Convinced federal prosecutors prior to trial that client was innocent; all charges dismissed, and client received written apology.
- Represented former Fortune 500 company investor relations employee charged with insider trading and making false statements under oath to the SEC. Indictment dismissed.
- Represented German manufacturer which was the target of an investigation involving alleged falsification of product testing. No charges filed, and government declined to intervene in parallel False Claims Act case.
- Represented international auto parts manufacturer which was a target in an antitrust price fixing investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented Middle East-based military food supplier accused of being a “war profiteer.” No charges filed.
- Represented former bank president/target in SBA loan fraud investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented compliance director/target in EPA investigation involving alleged violations of the Clean Water Act. No charges filed.
- Represented division president of food services conglomerate in corruption/bribery investigation. No charges filed.
- Represented director-level employee of health information technology company in investigation involving the provision of electronic health record software which allegedly caused providers to submit false claims for payment to Medicare and Medicaid. No charges filed.
- Represented research professor who was a target in an investigation involving alleged theft of intellectual property. No charges filed, and military contract debarment proceedings successfully defended.
- Represented security company contactor/target in multi-party RICO investigation concerning government funded construction projects. No charges filed.
- Represented construction company in False Claims Act investigation involving wage and hour certifications under the Davis Bacon Act. Government declined to intervene.
- Represented business owner accused of skimming proceeds and charged with income tax violations. Convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss all charges after challenging search warrant.
- Represented individual indicted for immigration offenses with one of the underlying allegations being that client was a participant in the genocide of native Nicaraguans. Established client’s innocence and federal prosecutors dismissed all charges.
- Hired by lobbyist ten years after that individual had been charged with honest services fraud. Part of a team of lawyers that convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss case.
- Represented individual and his wholly owned corporations charged in an indictment alleging multiple immigration and money laundering offenses. Convinced federal prosecutors to dismiss indictment; case resolved with a plea to a misdemeanor.
- Represented individual charged in multi-million dollar RICO and theft of government funds indictment. Matter resolved with client receiving first offender status and probation with no restitution being ordered.
- Represented doctor who was the target of a perjury investigation and convinced Health Care Fraud Task Force not to prosecute.
- Represented lobbyist who was a target in a public corruption/bribery investigation and convinced federal prosecutors that charges were not warranted.
- Represented minister who was target in federal and subsequent state investigations involving alleged misuse of government grant money. Matter closed without charges.
- Represented target/president of large nonprofit in two-year federal investigation involving alleged misuse of organization’s funds. No charges filed.
- Represented physician and his wholly owned company — targets in federal investigation involving sale of adulterated product. No charges filed, and all seized funds returned by government.
- Represented physician named in False Claims Act complaint which accused client of participating in a scheme to seek reimbursement for lab tests not performed. Government declined to pursue case against client and forced the relator/whistleblower to remove client’s name from the complaint.
- Represented CEO of hospital named in False Claims Act complaint which alleged unlawful payments to surgeons in violation of the Stark Law. Convinced government to decline case against client.
- Represented durable medical equipment company in parallel criminal and civil investigations relating to false claims submitted to Medicare. Convinced government not to pursue criminal charges; matter settled on civil basis.
- Assistant United States Attorney (1997-2002)
Awards, Recognition, Memberships
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations since 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Criminal Defense: White-Collar since 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America© – Qui Tam Law since 2015
- Georgia Trend magazine – Legal Elite: Criminal Defense since 2007
- Georgia Super Lawyers® – Top 100, 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyers® – White Collar Criminal Defense since 2008
- IBA Who’s Who Legal – Georgia Leading Business Crime Lawyers
- American Bar Foundation – Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America – Sr. Fellow
- State Bar of Georgia, General Practice and Trial Section – Board Member, 2002-2016