Mr. Byrd’s practice focuses in the areas of qui tam/false claims litigation, personal injury, significant fraud and tort cases.
Mr. Byrd has maintained a trial practice for over 35 years. For many of these years Mr. Byrd has been in private practice handling both civil and criminal cases. He also served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia. While serving in this capacity he was the head of the Affirmative Civil Enforcement Division and also was the Health Care Fraud Coordinator. During this time, The Middle District of Georgia enjoyed record success in combatting health care fraud.
Mr. Byrd’s practice has been varied. It has involved, but is not limited to, personal injury litigation, governmental issues, election issues and business related matters. His legal background has also involved an active appellate practice. Over the years he has devoted substantial time to providing legal services pro bono.
Mr. Byrd is a frequent speaker at ICLE Seminars. He holds an AV rating by Martindale- Hubbell. He has been recognized by publications for his legal service. He is a member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and The American Association for Justice.
Mr. Byrd served on Governor Roy Barnes Judicial Nominating Commission and on the Georgia Congressional Judicial Advisory Panel during President Obama’s first Administration.
Mr. Byrd and his wife, Melanie, have been married for over 40 years. They have two daughters and four grandchildren.
- Tried in excess of 100 civil and criminal jury trials.
- Obtained six-, seven-, eight-, and nine- figure settlements on behalf of the United States.
- Defended class actions. Favorable settlement.
- Represented plaintiffs in a class action. Favorable settlement.
- Defended white collar defendant. No charges filed.
- Represented estate in wrongful death action. Favorable settlement obtained.
- Lead counsel for injured parties in hundreds of matters in state and federal court.
- Defended corporations in variety of civil matters in state and federal court.
- Represented elected officials in range of electional contests.
Represented municipalities in range of civil matters.
- Prosecuted white collar matters.
Awards, Recognitions, and Memberships
- Judicial Nominating Commission (Governor Roy Barnes)
- Georgia Congressional Judicial Advisory Panel (President Barack Obama)
- AV Rating, Martindale Hubbell